Verify EIN

How to Verify an EIN or Employer Identification Number

Step 1

Determine if the entity is a tax-exempt or a for-profit organization.

Step 2Go to the IRS website at and find the “Search for Charities” page. Press the “Search Now” button and fill out the form with as much information about the employer that you have.

Call the IRS at (800) 829-4933 if you are the employer but have lost your EIN number. If you are the authorized EIN contact, the number will be given to you over the phone.

Step 4Find an EIN or FEIN search service through a tax adviser or internet search, and enlist its services. Many of these services are fee-based services where you can provide the EIN and the service will confirm the details of the employer. provides free EIN searches where and are fee-based providers.